Thursday 16 November 2017

Valerian root.

Well, last night I tried an experiment - I stopped taking morphine. I can't say it went so well but it didn't go so badly either.

I've been on the lesser types of morphine for most of the year and it hasn't really helped a lot. The Hospice wants me to increase the dose massively and ultimately to get me onto a permanent, slow release dose that can easily be increased. I accept there may well be a time for that.

But I've had a bad relationship with the drug, which just doesn't seem to help a lot. Indeed, I've been in hospital being pumped with intravenous morphine, having hallucinations and still screaming with pain.

Don't get me wrong, it can be fun; a nice warm feeling when you increase the dose. But that doesn't last and your body just needs more. Meanwhile I don't sleep and I'm in a lot of pain.

So last night I took the paracetamol which does help and added Valerian root as well. That's the herb that turns Sydney the Grumpy cat into a wild ball of ecstacy. In my case it's supposed to help with sleep and relaxation.

Anyway, I took it and did get some help with relaxation although not so much with extra sleep. Then again, I didn't have too many bad effects from stopping the morphine, although later in the night I was in some very real pain, which be the result of stopping it. I'll give it some more time and see how things add up.

We'll see how things go.

Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)
Home: helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact me: neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment