Thursday 19 October 2017

Should have just gone home.

I knew today was going to be tough but I didn't realise how hard it was going to be.

I'd been putting off going to register with a new Doctor partly because I didn't want to and partly because I've been in a lot of pain all week. Each day I assumed it would be better if I waited a day.

It wasn't.

Today we went to the Doctor's surgery and then on to Tesco's which isn't far away.

We got there OK, the surgery was nice and modern, quiet and efficient. Unfortunately the helpful receptionist I spoke to on Monday was off work and was replaced by someone less helpful.

I had all the stuff I needed with me, I filled in the forms alright but unfortunately, it all took far too long. Standing by the counter, sitting down on a hard chair, getting up again and waiting at the counter all left me worn out. I've made a complete transfer, a new start and should now be able to access the Palliative care I need.

And at that point I should have just gone home. Sadly, we went on to Tesco's where we found that of all days for it to happen, all the disabled buggies were in use. It just took me too long to get ready in the morning and now it was too busy.

I couldn't walk round, I couldn't sit in the car. I was able to borrow a wheelchair but it didn't fit and I couldn't adjust it properly. My feet were up by my chin, my back was hurting and one wheel kept sending me off to the left.

I'm not used to powering a wheelchair with my arms and the pain in my ribs wasn't helping at all.

I was shattered by the end of the day and snapping at poor Robyn who was doing all the work and didn't deserve it.

I could barely get into the house when we got home.

You cannot imagine how painful things can be. How every step is agony.

Still, we pulled it off.

Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)
Home: helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact me: neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment