Sunday 19 June 2016

Wraysbury fair 2016; the parade.

The big day finally arrived and I struggled over to the Village green to leave my photos at the craft tent.

When I was a kid, the fair was the only thing that ever happened in the village where I grew up and, in a way, it still is.

At the beginning of the 19th century, a developer tried to build an estate of houses where the village green and the memorial ground are now. there was a huge campaign to stop him and a big legal case - which was won, because there had been an annual fair on the green since the middle ages.

So, it's probably a good idea to go on doing it.

Starting with a parade through the village. I'm not sure who this was but he was very lively, bouncing around on his stilts;


There was a Town Crier and a steam engine;



And lots of floats full of local kids - the theme of the fair was a
70's disco;


So lots of records and outrageous flairs;


Plenty of silly wigs - this is 'CAST', a dance group;



Big tractors;


And mascots;



And lots of smiling kids;




Although I was still fascinated by bouncing man;



There were lots of vintage cars - and the craft tent but I'll put those pictures up tomorrow.

Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)
Home; helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact me: neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.

No comments:

Post a Comment