Wednesday 26 August 2015

Jake Fryer at The Walled Garden; Jazz on a Summer's Day'

It's been a lousy summer; grey skies, rain.

As you can imagine it's been a bit of a blow for me. It's not as though we can get away and I've got an unpleasant autumn to look forward to.

We've spent most of our time struggling over weather forecasts. Then they forecast rain and we stay at home.....then it's fine.

Doh!

On Sunday that's exactly what happened; they forecast rain.

In the morning it did rain but then it got better after lunch.

I couldn't face losing another day and just took a chance and dragged Robyn to Sunbury of all places.

Spelthorne Council puts on summer concerts; by accident we saw a brass band at The Lammas Park back in May.

This one was at 'The Walled Garden' in Lower Sunbury; the last one of the 'Summer'.

I came off the Sunbury Cross roundabout (which I've used all my life) onto a road I never knew was there.

Eventually we found Sunbury park and ended up walking through it haphazardly, carrying our own chairs and with no real hopes of ever finding anything.

Then, I saw a big wall.

Then we heard music!



It was a little trio - John Sargeant on the drums, John Blackwell on electric guitar and Jake Fryer on the saxophone.

I looked him up before we left; Jake plays and composes Jazz in the Bebop style I love. He's played at Ronnie Scott's and around the world.

This time he was playing standards, gently with a tight little trio.

And the sun actually came out!





'Jazz on a Summer's Day' and surrounded by flowers in a walled garden.

How good does it get?



There was even a rose garden;




There was even Bread Pudding and a cappuccino.

 
 
 
It really doesn't get any better than that.
 
Neil Harris
 
(a don't stop till you drop production)
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment