Thursday 9 July 2015

Mead, anyone?

I have no idea why, Robyn wants some Mead; Ye Olde Englishe Meade, to be precise. The medieval wine made out of honey.

She tried it at a food festival in America once and then found that no one here (the home of Mead) drinks it.

Except that, at the Wraysbury fair the local winemakers were giving mead away to celebrate the Magna Carta anniversary.

So after a lot of unsuccessful hunting we decided to make our own. I used to make lots of wine and I never threw my old equipment out. Which was just as well because if I'd had to buy it all again, it would have been cheaper to buy a bottle of Champagne...you know that's only a slight exaggeration.

So I got hold of the yeast and some replacements for parts that had worn out as well as a whole lot of honey;


In goes the yeast;



Then the must goes into the jar;




Then, on goes the airlock;



Then you just have to wait......

.......the only problem is that I'm a bit short of time myself and all my recipes suggest waiting at least a year if not more.

So this may not go so well, but we spoke to the winemaker and he only waited for 4 months for his mead to be 'drinkable' because it was a rush job.

So fingers crossed.

Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)

Home:  helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact me:  neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment