Tuesday 3 February 2015

The Museum of Nothing in Particular: Part Two.






I haven't quite done this justice; it's fire glass and I found it on a walk. It's ordinary glass that's been heated up in a bonfire and melted. Except, as you can see, it isn't as simple as that.

It would have started life as a bottle and it hasn't really melted; it slumped. So you can still make out the remains of a bottle shape but it has collapsed and then set as it cooled.

But there is always a problem when you heat glass - it needs a long, slow cooling time otherwise the internal stresses will make it crack and it has here.

Also where the bottle fell in on itself there is now ash entombed inside.

Where I went happened to be where the 5th November bonfire was held last year, just before I got ill. So I know that it was just a wood fire, which is why it was hot enough to slump the glass but not to melt it properly.






Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)

Home:  helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com

Contact me:  neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment