Tuesday 17 February 2015

In the Gardens.



My trip round Saville Gardens wasn't really my kind of thing - I'm not a plantsman and I prefer wild places.

The gardens are fairly formal and we only got in for free because at this time of year the plants are hiding from the weather.

The Camellias were in flower despite the rain and the cold;




And every so often you caught a gleam from the Witch hazel which is one of the few plants to flower at this time of year;




There were some exotic scents from plants flowering when they would have done at their home on the other side of the world.

There's also a small greenhouse and this is a Tree Fern from New Zealand....this is a tender one;


 
 
 There is one variety that can almost survive our winters if it's protected and there were a few outside. They are a protected species now; they take a long time to grow.
 
There was some clever modern planting...here are snow drops amongst an almost black grass. 
 
 
 
 
 
I wasn't convinced by it; as I said I prefer the wild places. I was glad I saw it though and we had a really nice day. Not sure I'd want to pay £9-50p each to see it.
 
Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)
 
 
 
 
 
 
Neil Harris


No comments:

Post a Comment