Sunday 8 February 2015

Abbey Road.



So where did I go on Friday?




I was up in London at a Hospital, having my ankle looked at. I'm not allowed to talk about that........but as I was in St. John's Wood (not my normal part of town, I can tell you) I thought I'd have a look at Abbey Road while I was there.


There aren't any road signs any more - they would be stolen. I could only get a picture of this one up at first floor level;



This is the front door of the famous recording studios. The whole area is full of musical history; the blue plaque commemorates Edward Elgar while about two minutes away is the house of Sir Thomas Beecham, the famous and very eccentric conductor.

Some very famous classical recordings have been made at those studios and many great names from the worlds of Jazz and popular music have climbed those steps too.

For about 6 months in 1969, every night, this was 'The Beatles' home, while they recorded the album that was to become 'Abbey Road'.



I'm not a fan of their later albums except for 'Let it be' (I prefer the version before Phil Spector was brought in to re- produce it) and 'Abbey Road'. I generally prefer their demos or early takes over the George Martin produced versions.

But all that grumbling aside, I was very moved about the number of people making the pilgrimage from all over the world.

And, of course, everybody wanted to have their picture taken on the world famous zebra crossing!


 
 
 
So, while I'm normally a bit sniffy about doing touristy things, I'm glad I did this one.
 
 
Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment