Tuesday 2 September 2014

48 Hours, One Man and Cultural Other at The Hobgoblin.

 
 
Saturday night at The Hobgoblin, Staines, thank goodness it's back after a long, long summer of sport and it really was a classic Hob night too. 
 
This is 'One Man' - Matthew Williams from Egham;
 


Everybody wanted to take his picture - there was a queue.

As you can see, Mathew was playing an acoustic guitar with an array of effects pedals and 'loops' which gave him a chance to show off his virtuosity.

It's not my kind of thing; I like my music to have 'punch', to be immediate.

Everybody else thought he was great - Robyn told me it was like 'Accoustic Techno' and explained the different influences and styles he was playing. She's a big fan.





This is what I was there for; 48 Hours. I've seen them before - full of fire and excitement;



Lots of action making for a storming night;





Then there was 'Cultural Other' - much more thoughtful music;



Their influences come from all around the world and their music was lyrical and inventive.


 

A contrast to end the night but I still preferred 48 hours!

Three great bands (OK two and a half bands?), all local and all playing original material.
 
Check out this great venue for yourself.
 
Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment