Saturday 30 August 2014

Jimmy Hastings night at The Red Lion.



Jimmy Hastings down at The Red Lion is not something to miss; it's the sound of 1970's jazz played well.

Not my kind of thing at all, not a decade when I was really into Jazz at all, which is why it's such good playing...the sounds of Chick Corea weren't my thing.


 
 
If anything says it all its the sound of a jazz flute - the sound of that era and Jimmy's got it just right.
 
 
But I like Wayne Shorter and Gerry Mulligan who both got an airing as well as the very great Jimmy Giuffre who does not get played often enough.
 
And it was just a quartet which I really prefer; Trevor Tomkins on Drums, John Horler on keyboards and Tim Wells playing a very fine bass.
 
Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment