Saturday 12 July 2014

Tree House Fire, Eat the Evidence and Critical Jac at the Hob.

 

After a hard old week of being ill, being messed about and generally overdoing it, grouchy Neil staggered into The Hobgoblin for an urgent blood transfusion on Friday; it had better work - next week will be worse.

Luckily, I already knew I wasn’t going to be battered by the music – this time I was going to get an easy ride.



That’s Critical Jac, the first of three bands playing Reggae 2014 style (which is not the Ska I love or the slow, slow classic reggae that Robyn likes). They were playing a definite reggae beat but there with some rock and a few other things chucked in there as well.

Then how about this?

                                             Cheers!

That’s disconcerting; I’m going to have to use the ‘A-word’, I’m going to have to break the final taboo. It’s actually quite difficult for me to get the word out – it’s a bit dirty, I feel a bit ashamed.


Yes it’s an accordion.

What do you mean; ‘Speak up?’.

I said, it’s an accordion.

Ok, it’s an accordion. Yeah, that’s folk music, busking beggars and the Paris metro in the summer.

The last person I knew who played one was someone none of us liked or trusted and in the end we decided he was a police spy.

This time it was being played up front by ‘Eat the Evidence’, who somehow managed to fuse reggae with Hip-Hop as well as a few other random styles as well.

What came out in the mix was a lot of fun – the accordian version of Public Enemy’s ‘Don’t believe the Hype’ was unmissable. Like being slapped in the face with a punky, reggae sponge pudding.

At this point I feel I should introduce a voice of reason;

H    [a|Solicitor|writes]

Given the recent amendments to The Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984, the cuts in legal aid, the inherent imbalance between the resources of the Police and the defence, the psychological disadvantage of being a defendant held in detention awaiting questioning, the class and racial bias of the legal system, Yadda Yadda Yadda, it would be reasonable to recommend to anyone under arrest to;


At any rate, perhaps I can now listen to an Accordion without being ill.

Top of the bill (third time I’ve seen them) were ‘Tree House Fire’, like the other two bands playing their own material and a couple of covers (Daft Punk, yeah really).

I like them more every time I see them and last night they were on top form. If you want to check them out, they have videos on YouTube, and a facebook page too.

It was a dancy, punky reggae night down at the Hob which gives next Saturday night a big challenge; ‘According to you’ and The Wicked Venetians’ are my favourites out of the 5 bands.

Mr Nightingale is celebrating his birthday while the rest of us are just glad that he’s going to leave The Hob alone.

It still works.

Neil Harris

(a don’t stop till you drop production)

Home: helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact me: neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment