Wednesday 23 July 2014

Corncrockles.


I took this picture of some cornflowers yesterday morning for no particular reason but I'm glad I did now - they've been cut down.

They used to be a weed in cornfields, now they are very rare in this country because farmers use herbicides and as I found out there aren't enough wild places where they can grow.

In France, cornflowers have become the symbol of remembrance for the first world war just like poppies are here.

Unfortunately, everyone seems to like cornflowers; in Europe parties of the left and right have picked the flower as a symbol while in some places its a symbol of military prowess rather than one which reminds us of the waste of war.

They are also called corncrockles by those of us who don't know any better and they always make me think of summer.

Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)

Home: neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com
Contact me: neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment