Sunday 15 June 2014

Wraysbury Fair and Three Lions at The Hob.


That wasn't the best of Saturdays. I was in The Hobgoblin until 1245 pm, it transforms itself into a Sportsbar whenever it gets a chance. Saturday night was England v Italy and I just got in before they closed the doors (I think there were three people after they allowed me in).

My head hurts for a number of reasons - one of them is the complexity of the beer discount system which meant that the beer prices went up or down depending on the current scores and the dubious nationality of the beer. You needed to be either a city futures trader, a professor of economics or a hardened alcoholic to keep up with that. The alcoholics were doing just fine.

The game? We scored after a minute and a half. All around me everything exploded; beer flew, chairs flew, bouncers looked perplexed. It took about 5 minutes to work out that the goal hadn't counted. I know the goal was disallowed but I still have no idea why.

After that it all went downhill.


Everyone seems to know the score,
They've seen it all before,
They just know,
They're so sure,
That England's Gonna throw it away,
Gonna blow it away,
But I know they can play,
'Cause I remember...

Three Lions on a shirt,
Jules Rimet still gleaming,
Thirty years of hurt,
Never stopped me dreaming.

So many jokes, so many sneers,
But all those oh-so-nears,
Wear you down,
Through the years,
But I still see that tackle by Moore,
And when Lineker scored,
Bobby belting the ball,
And Nobby Dancing... 

Three Lions on a shirt,
Jules Rimet still gleaming,
Thirty years of hurt,
Never stopped me dreaming. 

Do I really have to update the Lightning Seeds lyrics to 48 years?

Wraysbury Fair? I got second place. Congratulations to the worthy winner. All I'll say is that I would rather get a second place without making any compromises than first place having compromised myself.

Here's a float from the parade;



And here's the Fire and Rescue services display which brings back a lot of memories from the floods;


We support the Firefighters battle to keep their pensions!

There was a lot of fun when the sun came out;

 


But you could get into trouble if you weren't careful;


But how about this?


I think I'll put up some of the vintage cars tomorrow.
I'd still rather be in Rio, whatever happens.
If you click on a picture you get a slideshow and better quality views.

Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)

Home: helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact: neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment