Sunday 9 February 2014

Funky Friday with Groove Manoova.


Yesterday, remember when I said I was a bit tired after a night out? Well, that wasn’t the whole truth. The truth is I was arrested by the mod Police last night. I’m now under investigation by the mod squad. It’s serious, I could be charged with offences against style.

I thought it would be alright if I slipped over the border but it didn’t work – they have spies everywhere. The Northern Soulies will tear off my patches.

Last night I just had to slip out to get some.....you know what I was after – something special, something dangerous, something…..

Funky

Something with a little…..

Soul

But while there was some Soul involved, if I’m honest with myself when I went to ‘Brave new World’ in Surbiton, it was all about the

Funk

And when I say funk I mean the funk of a Hammond/Roland keyboard and a thwackthwackthwacking bass, a ChakaChakaChaka guitar, a big bold brass section screaming out that note until it hurts and a conga that only stops every now and again to start hitting out a cowbell kind of rhythm with a fine pair of vocalists intent on getting down. And I mean getting right down.

 

Play that funky music white boy

Play that funky music….yeowghhhh!

Play that funky music white boy

Get down, get down and play that funky music till you die.

I even had to go miles to find what I was looking for:

groove manoova

If I like my Modern Jazz pared down to the barest minimum, I have to be honest that if it’s soul or funk, big is definitely the best. Groove Manoova are 8 strong and they are good. There were keyboards, there were drums, there were conga’s too. There was a whole Brass section;

 
In case you’ve never seen one before that means a trumpet;

 
And a sax…..and even a flute;



There was a bass and lead guitar, both definitely in the zone here;
 
And there were two great vocalists;

 
 
 
 What does that add up to?



Groovers in the house

Can you hear me?

I said;

 
 
Groovers in the house

As anyone who knows me can tell you, I have all that mod cool, that certain style, the certain detachment. Well, I lost it during Grace Jones ‘Pull up to the Bumper, baby’.

Oh, that was good.

‘Joy and pain’ by Maze? Mmmmmmh.

Was that the Starsky and Hutch theme made famous by the great James Taylor Quartet, who I was lucky enough to see last September? I think it was.

You see, I have previous convictions. Somehow my soul has been infected with funk. I even have some white socks somewhere. I’ve heard that Cognitive Behavioural Therapy could help me.

No, there’s no hope – I’ve relapsed, again.

ChakaChakaChaka

Funky Friday with Groove Manoova. 

Neil Harris

(a don’t stop till you drop production)

No comments:

Post a Comment