Tuesday 4 February 2014

5 Mondays, lucky for some.


I made it back to my Jazz club (The Red Lion, Isleworth)  on Monday but I’m a bit of a stranger there now. I only made it once in January, the month with 5 Mondays (check it out – no wonder we get sad) because I was looking after my Mum or I was ill or I was getting back too late from my Monday clinic. Too many excuses. Mind you, 5 Mondays would have been great if I could have made it in.

So this Monday I sank back into the world of Modern Jazz with Martin Shaw (star of stage and screen) standing in on trumpet;

 
Ed Jones on Sax was new to me but he blew me away with his playing;

 
And Trevor Tomkins was pretty ace on the drums, with a solo without sticks on ‘Mama Cita’, and that number brought out the best in everyone – trumpet, Sax and John Pearce on keyboards. John certainly swung and there were some great quiet spells with reflective drums and Dave Green twacking his bass. Good to be back there and I’m glad I made it back, although it’s tougher to do it now.

Neil Harris

(a don’t stop till you drop production)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment