Saturday 25 January 2014

No time is better than now; Stanley Dee at Jagz.


Where have you taken me, Stanley Dee?


 
This is not my normal venue – it’s Jagz and it's in the richest part of the country and has an audience to match. You just might find ‘The Charley with the lotion and the kinky hair’ up by the bar but they probably don't have 'Da coco shell' which is so essential for a good night out.

Let’s face it, I’ve been thrown out of worse places.

The thing is, I came for the music, not for dinner and as a result I and some of the other Dan’s got sent right up to the front of the hall like a punishment (as if!).  

When I came in the staff took one look at me (are you Harris?) and I was warned ; "I'm afraid it's right by the dance floor".  So I got a great sound, ringside seats, a candle on the table and ended up right by the dance floor. You know what's coming - they made me do it.

I tried to get out but they pulled me back in.

 
Then I got my calculator out; if one of the vocalists was ill but there’s an extra tenor saxophone that still makes ten. Is it possible they are going to be 11 now? Ten was crazy enough but…….?



When the band started I was still laughing about the conversation I’d had with the staff when I came into the hall and I never really stopped smiling. And strictly no William Burroughs, I was on my best behaviour.

 

If that made for a quiet first half, I have special thanks for ‘Midnight Cruiser’ (No time is better than now) and ‘Dr Wu’.

 
Then for the second half all the groovers in the ringside seats woke up and there was dancing. It was a whole lot of fun and that’s what Stanley Dee bring to all that serious and challenging stuff.

I’ve had this heretical thought – you have the brightest, tightest, really competent band with the unheard of luxury of such big brass and vocal sections. Just suppose Walter Becker and Donald Fagen weren’t looking for a moment and the Dee’s were able to play truant now and again.

What a great jazz/funk band this would be. What about soul? I know, I know, I’m getting all nostalgic about 'Working Week' and that whole 1980's soul/jazz groove. Must stop that.  But there are a whole lot of possibilities.

Neil Harris

(a don't stop till you drop production)

Home:   helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com

Contact:  neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com


And finally, a word from my sponsor;

The

Cancer Drug Fund

L
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment