Thursday 16 January 2014

That's that then.


Even my camera is bored with the flood – yesterday for the second day running, the batteries gave out just as I was about to take another extremely interesting picture.

The Flood Marker in Staines fell by a foot in the last 24 hours and you can now walk along the river bank again.

After all the excitement of last week, I’m bored. I’ve been loading my MP3 with more music and that has been depressing me.  
It probably isn't helped by me calling it; ‘The Death Disco’ after the Public Image track of the same name because I keep it with me in case I’m admitted to hospital.

It was all full of slow jazz and Mile Davies, which given what it's for did seem like a good idea but now I've decided to load it up with dance music, good time/happy sounds.

As the memory is running out, the decisions are getting harder – I may need to buy a bigger MP3.

And then last night I went to The Barley Mow in Shepperton and spent a quiet, happy evening in the company of Pete Davies and his rather flexible Quartet.

This is modern jazz (is there really any other kind?) but it’s not so cool, not so demanding, mainly standards but played with some real style. The Quartet? That changes all the time depending on whose free or just can't keep away.

Here’s Pete giving the sax a workout:
 

 At halftime the drummer and bassist teamed up with Roy Cook for three numbers as a trio – and they flew. I recognised ‘Laura’ and a little Thelonious Monk.
 
Not so bad a night.

Neil Harris

(a don’t stop till you drop production)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment