Tuesday 31 December 2013

The Coolest place to be.


I wasn’t even going to go out, I was going to stay in and have a rest ready for New Years Eve. That’s what I should have done (not been so well blahdeeblah) and in the morning do the food shopping, spend the afternoon at hospital and the evening ….well, we were going to see what happened.

Instead I went to The Red Lion for a night of jazz, so thats the end of the shopping.
 I always knew it would be a good night but I didn't realise it was going to be a really good night and that I had to be there. I wasn’t the only one either – it was packed out.

 


 Simon Spillet was magnificent on the saxophone while Nigel Price on jazz guitar complemented him perfectly. They were all up for it, I think having several days away from jazz had them desperate to get back in – that’s what it sounded like. John Critchinson couldn’t stop smiling and Tim Wells on bass was thwacking out the rythym.

Best of all was ‘Alfies Theme’ by Sonny Rollins; you know it, really you do. It’s from the 1960's film. It’s cool…really cool.

The joint was jumping.

And for this one night that packed pub was the only place in the whole of London to be.

Now it's New Year's Eve and I got up late (there goes the shopping - frozen leftovers for me). This time last year I wrote that 2012 was the worst year of my life but that I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Well I can tell you that 2013 was ten times worse than that and I still wouldn't have missed it for anything.

2014? Bring it on.

Neil Harris

(a don’t stop till you drop production)  

No comments:

Post a Comment