Tuesday 3 December 2013

The Blues Associates


Sunday I went to see my Mum in hospital – a complete transformation. I can’t say she’s well and there are still tests to be done but she’s on the mend for the moment.

On the way back I popped into ‘The Perseverence’ Pub in Wraysbury for no other reason than that they had a band playing at 4-30pm of a Sunday afternoon.

This is in a quiet village on a quiet day and I couldn’t resist although other than for sitting quietly in a corner there wasn’t a lot of petrol left in the tank. A couple of drops really.


‘The Blues Associates’ are a ‘musicians collective’ (two words that can only bring joy to an old leftie like me) of ten who play in various combinations, depending on how much money is in the pot. On a Sunday afternoon in ‘sleepy hollow’ that isn’t so much.

We got two performers – lead guitar and vocals and a bass. Two brilliant musicians playing a range of classic soul, some Steely Dan (and that’s not easy), Santana and blues.

I’d have much preferred to have seen the full band but they had to rely on a laptop for the drums and other backing vocals etc where needed, but you get what you pay for. I think I got a lot more than I deserved.

I had to go halfway through the second half – that may not have been so much of a shame for me. They’d strayed onto ‘Sweet Home Alabama’, which is a sentiment I can’t support and as I left they were also heading to somewhere a bit too conventional for me as well.

But so skilful, so professional.

A lot of talent – so what would the full line up be like? And what if they were playing some more leftfield stuff?

Definitely something to look out for.

By the way, this week ‘The SkaSouls’ play ‘The Hootenanny’ in Brixton on the 3rd and ‘The High-s’ are playing ‘The Ace Café’ on the North Circular Road on the 5th. Two magical dates, two really good bands sneaking up to London.

Now how stoopid can I be?

Neil Harris

(a don’t stop till you drop production)

Santa says

EL

Helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment