Wednesday 30 October 2013

Accident and Emergency times at St. Peter's Hospital, Chertsey: The Summer crisis


 

     Accident

   p

      Emergency

           p

          crisis

When St. Peter’s Hospital ‘lost’ the recording of the meeting I had with the clinician from Accident and Emergency, I got annoyed. When I get annoyed I like to get my own back – and how did I do that?

I took a good hard look at the NHS statistics for the second quarter of the year.

Hospitals have to admit or discharge patients within 4 hours in 95 % of cases. It used to be 98% under Labour but the conservative/Libdem Coalition reduced it to make life easier for the hospitals.

In the winter, it’s busier at A and E and the statistics get worse. So Quarter 2, which is July to October, should have gone well and remember they already failed in the first Quarter which was springtime.

So, how did they do this time?

They failed again with only 94-1% of patients at St. Peter’s dealt with in time. If you include the Ashford drop in centre (and why would you as these aren’t emergencies – I went there three times to have my dressing changed) it went up to 94-9% - they still failed.

If you count up the number of poor souls who spent more than 4 hours but less than 12 it was 332.

In case you are feeling sympathetic to the hospital, don’t. The A and E gets up to all kind of tricks to try and keep these stats above 95 % - you get shoved in a corridor on a ward rather than left in A and E, you don’t get admitted to A and E too soon to put off the clock running. I could go on and on.

If this is summer – what will winter be like?

Well I took a look at the first week of the next Quarter – it’s getting worse! I’m keeping that back for another day.

Now wouldn’t it have been better to just have sent me the recording in the first place?

Neil Harris

(a don’t stop till you drop production)
Home:     helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact:  neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment