Saturday 7 September 2013

Second chances.


Sometimes great things happen.

For years now, I’ve missed out on seeing The James Taylor Quartet – this is the coolest jazz band on earth. Taylor plays the Hammond organ and they recreate the jazz-funk groove of the 1960’s and 70’s. So much so that he did the theme for Austin Powers. They do a lot more besides.

Nowadays they don’t tour so much, except every September they do a residency at Ronnie Scotts small, intimate Soho club - perfect.  For years I missed it – too busy working, or I was too ill, or last year in hospital with a broken ankle. It’s been a running joke, except I wasn’t laughing.

This year (of course) they did it early in August and I didn’t realise….that was my last chance, gone.

Or so I thought, because by accident I found out that they are headlining a free jazz festival in …….on……. Do you think I’m going to tell everybody? I’m not well enough to cope with a huge crowd any more.

Did I mention it was free?

Anyway, on Friday I was listening to Robert Elms ‘Funky Friday on BBC Radio London. Every Friday he celebrates the end of the week with a dance music session with a theme. At the start of the programme he played a JTQ track as an intro – then as ‘Funky Friday was getting into full swing, the James Taylor Quartet themselves e-mailed in to the show from a café in Milan, to tell us they were enjoying ‘Funky Friday’ on their laptop, as they relaxed the afternoon away before they did their show later in the evening.

Mind you I’d rather be in Milan than in ……. But I should be very grateful. Now all I have to do is try to persuade a friend to come with me, in case I don’t last out the full day.

Any offers?

sCLUE No 5

Here’s the question;

7000 what? By whom?

K

Clue Number 5;

He was an early pioneer of performance art.

He’s very European.

It’s a work of art by one of my favourite 20th century artists.

When you’ve got the answer, e-mail it in to me at;


The first right answer wins a combat bracelet, made by me.

 

Neil Harris

(a don’t stop till you drop production)

No comments:

Post a Comment