Friday 12 July 2013

The Good Old Boys.


I suppose it had to happen, I had a bad night – I should have known better. I ended up seeing a band called ‘The Good old Boys’ made up of ex-members of Deep Purple and the Strawbs. They were certainly able to play in a technical sense but they lacked that spark of life. Heck, you can be old and ill and have it or you can be 16 and not have it. They didn’t have it. Neither were they 16.

I should have guessed from the off – wasn’t there a country band in ‘The Blues Brothers’ called The Good ‘Ole Boys’?  Jake and Elwood take over their spot at the roadhouse then there’s a car chase;

 

"It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a packet of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses... Hit it."

Actually, maybe it would have been better if the band had been playing behind chicken wire like in the film.

And yes, at the point when I left early they were playing country music. It wasn’t for me.

I went back to the ‘big field’ on Wednesday, the hay was cut, the finished bales were gone.
These days contracters come in and do the job – often at night. It’s quite industrial – giant machines costing big bucks.

The rednecks may have gone but ‘The Good ‘ole Boys’ play on.

Neil Harris

(a don’t stop till you drop production)

No comments:

Post a Comment