Tuesday 23 July 2013

Comin'.


What goes around, comes around. When I turned up at my Jazz Club, who should be there but Roy, who runs the Staines Riverside club, and who introduced me to The SkaSouls. That’s Jaaazzz for you.

Hottest day of the year so far and I wasn’t so enthusiastic when I saw Jimmy Hastings on the bill – he’s always heavy on 1970’s fusion – the name Chick Corea flashes onto my retina like a cut price neon sign.





I’m being a bit of a grouch – Hastings plays the flute, the tenor and soprano sax and does it all very well, but even feeling bad and having had a lively Friday, the desire to tap a foot is always there. Corea never did it for me.

There is something about the jazz flute – for me it’s the sound of the Gil Scott Heron band, afro hair styles, wide flairs, flowery shirts. Can’t help it, that’s the image – somewhere between 1971 and 1973.

In contrast, Jimmy Hastings looks like a retired bank manager but he plays like a dream.

The first one up was Joe Hendersons ‘Isotope’, and John Donaldsons keyboards were amazing – as he was throughout the evening – the piano solos had the crowd cheering.

Oscar Pettiford’s ‘Two little pearls’ was a highlight, almost classical, certainly orchestral and written by a bassist it gave Tim Wells a rare chance to really explore his bass.

Gary McFarlane’s Street Dance was lively – a wild Trevor Tomkins was using all his drums today, even ones I’d not heard before. The dust was flying.

The end was two – you can guess – Chick Corea pieces. I didn’t mind, it was a virtuosos evening.

Mind you, next week is all Miles.

That’s ‘Miles of Smiles’.

It’s Cookin’, Walkin’, Workin’….

I’m being silly – TT has formed a band to play Miles Davis numbers from the 1960’s, the ‘Herbie Hancock years’, and I am so looking forward to that.

Shhhhh, don’t tell anyone – get there late because I don’t think anyone will be interested.

 

Neil Harris

(a don’t stop till you drop production)

P.S. if your getting a bit irritated with all this silliness – take a look at my other Blog, the serious boring one;


Over the last few days, I’ve been posting some hard hitting stuff and in a few days I’ll put up my analysis of the Keogh Review into the 14 failing NHS Trusts.

Hey you, yes you at the back – stop yawning, its good stuff..

PS 2 Comin', is a Miles joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment