Thursday 16 May 2013

Cha changes.


Those of you who have been with me through the tough times and the lean spells, will know I’m not a quitter and I’m not quitting now. I am, however, looking forward to the day when I can wind this Blog down.

Ready for that day, I opened up a new Blog;

Help Me Sort Out the NHS!
helpmesortoutthenhs.blogspot.com
 

Now I’m not sure what to do with it.

Anyway this isn’t over until this battle is won and while it’s ‘nearly’ won, ‘nearly’ is not enough, just as 6.4 is not 10 consultants.

But it is going to be won, we’re nearly there.

At the same time I have a real affection for this site, there’s a lot of me in it. It’s been like a warm overcoat in the cold and a lot of fun when the going has been hard.

But to be honest, when I set it up I assumed it would only be after I died that the Blog would win out.  So I don’t know what to do now - I need some help in deciding whether to just carry it on or start again or just stop.

It was all so easy before – these things were obvious;

1) It was going to be a Blog and not a website, so that it would record my battles, as they happened.

2) It was going to be a very local, specific and achievable campaign. Something that could be won and wouldn’t seem too hard for ‘them’ to give ‘us’.

3) It was going to be a very personal and emotional          appeal for help from one human being to another.

4) It was a moral argument.

5) Having no experience of internet technology, I was going to be using all the old skool campaigning methods I grew up with as well – petitions, leaflets, picket lines etc. The net was just going to complement that.

(One, two, three, four – we want six more! – geddit?)

It didn’t work out that way – the netizens shamed them into doing the right thing. Old skool had to take a back seat to the new kidz on the block. It turned out that shrewd use of information and marshalling bad publicity worked wonders; as far as the old methods of doing things went, well, no one was really that interested.

5) You can, with difficulty, do things the right way. So it wasn’t going to be a witch hunt. It wasn’t going to use race or gender to divide people. It was only going to work by making things better.

In the process, I learnt a lot and discovered you can win a little battle. Do you fancy something bigger?

Neil Harris
(a don’t stop till you drop production)
Home:     helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact   neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment